Event Management FAQ
- 1. What is Supply Chain Event Management (SCEM)?
- 2. What is TradeMerit Supply Chain Event Management?
- 3. How do I know if I need tmEvent?
- 4. What makes the tmEvent solution better than its competitors?
- 5. What are the benefits of using tmEvent?
- 6. How tmEvent receives the relevant event data?
- 7. Can tmEvent be integrated with my portal and my backend systems?
- 8. Can tmEvent trigger alerts based on a workflow sequence?
- 9. What is the cost of tmEvent?
- 10. How long will it take to implement tmEvent?
- 11. What is the technical infrastructure of tmEvent?
- 12. When using the tmEvent Web interface, is my data transferred safely via the Internet?
1. What is Supply Chain Event Management (SCEM)?
The term “supply-chain event management,” coined by AMR Research in 2000 refers to systems that monitor events in supply chains (e.g., milestones disruptions) and react according to predefined business rules (e.g., sending e-mail alerts).
2. What is TradeMerit Supply Chain Event Management?
tmEvent is an application that is designed for manufacturing, distribution, logistics, transportation, and retail companies, to improve operational performance and support financial and regulatory compliance across business processes for both planning and execution through proactive Supply Chain Event Management.
With tmEvent your company can monitor, manage and analyze events across your supply chain processes involving external partners, inventories and assets. It collects events from your systems and your partners’ systems, analyzes them against their predefined plan or workflows, and notifies the required people to react if deviations are found. An open, highly configurable event management and resolution engine, tmEvent provides the tools and framework to Monitor, Notify, Resolve, and Analyze business events. From capturing event information to analyzing it against preset milestones, and then notifying appropriate parties when there is a discrepancy, tmEvent supports real-time responsiveness and adaptive collaboration across the entire business network.
3. How do I know if I need tmEvent?
TradeMerit provides two weeks of complete assessment that will show you what tmEvent is, implement a scenario with you, show you what it can do for you and lay out a plan to achieve the benefits that tmEvent can have to your organization. Also, TradeMerit provides a free self-assessment tool to help you in assessing your needs.
Here are some sample questions you need to answer:
- What is your organization's trust level regarding your Supply Chain information?
- Are all your transactions and approvals executed in your system or is there still paper activity?
- Do you have visibility to partner service level metrics (internal and external) from within the system?
- How would you rate your current service level to your partners (internal and external) in terms of on-time and in-full delivery meeting their needs?
- Do you use your system to manage activities by exception ensuring only the exceptions are actively being worked?
- Do you execute your reporting directly from your system or using spreadsheets and batch process?
- Are you able to easily pull reports to display the tracking and tracing data for sensitive processes exposed to regulation?
- When a work package needs to be delivered to the next person in the process chain, is it delivered immediately, to the correct person, with the correct information, and the correct instructions?
- Does your process issue real-time notifications based on deviations in the process (Measurement, partner, location, date / time, message, sequence deviations)?
- How satisfied are you with the KPIs defined for your business processes? Do they meet your needs and tell you the story you need to hear?
4. What makes the tmEvent solution better than its competitors?
The majority of current Event Management systems deal with parameters internal to an entity. Those systems provide visibility to single events that are typically defined as gaps between a set and a measured level in pre-defined parameters; for example low safety stock, or late delivery.
However, in order to enable event management capabilities throughout the entire supply chain, integration is required not only within the wall of the single corporation, but also in the "gray" areas (Blind Spots) between corporations, in the weakest links, which often are the source of the majority of problems.
tmEvent competitive edge is:
- Visibility into events, milestones and trade documents’ status.
- Pre-configured specific supply chain components such as customer orders, fulfillments, purchase orders, logistics, etc.
- Discover inconsistencies between data elements and generate alerts that are not configured or expected by the user; for example, mismatch between ASN and purchase order.
- Integration with many ERP systems such as SAP, Oracle, and JDA.
- Drilling down from the alert to the document or process that generated the Alert. For example, by clicking on the alert of late order fulfillment, the system will open the order.
- Built-in Supply Chain documentations to provide the capability of drilling down to see the cause of the events.
- Connectivity to Government authorities (ex. CBP, CBSA, etc) to monitor compliance and enforcement alerts.
- Covers the complete Supply Chain process; this includes planning, execution, collaboration, and coordination.
- Preconfigured Key Performance Indicators (KPI), based on the Supply-Chain Operations Reference (SCOR) best practices.
- Rapid deployment; a typical project can take 3 months to implement.
- Support for custom web interface in multiple languages.
- Can be delivered as software installed on your premises or Software as a Service (SaaS).
5. What are the benefits of using tmEvent?
A study conducted by Automotive Industry Action Group (AIAG) for the implementation of tmEvent in the Material Off-Shore Sourcing (MOSS) project concluded the following benefits;
Direct benefits include:
- A reduction in transit inventory.
- A reduction in buffer (safety) stock inventory (and associated floor space and labor),
- A reduction in the use of premium freight,
- Improved visibility,
- A reduction of variation in delivery times,
- Improved compliance with C-TPAT and WCO standards for secure trade,
- Improved stability and predictability of process execution,
- Greater ability for real-time intervention into disruptions.
Indirect benefits include:
- Optimized purchasing patterns
- Strengthened supply chain partnerships
- Proactive interventions
- Freed capital to redeploy to new opportunities
- Opportunities for continuous improvement
With tmEvent, you get the tools you need to manage events so they don't cause problems. It's a real-time, proactive exception management tool that allows you to:
- Monitor events in your business as they occur, or fail to occur.
- Automatically respond to situations that require immediate action.
- Route alerts to stakeholders.
- Track issues centrally and escalate or distribute the information as necessary.
- Coordinate workflows, transactions, events, and activities on one system.
- Use historical events to find trends that allow you to perform root cause analysis and fix underlying problems in your business.
The result is: You know what's happening—or not happening—in your business and you manage unexpected events in real time so your production, distribution, and sales stay on track.
6. How tmEvent receives the relevant event data?
To capture and report the relevant events data from supply chain processes and participants, tmEvent uses the following interfaces:
- Electronic interface to exchange data with the application system through:
- EDI Interface
- Flat files
- Proprietary electronic system
tmEvent implements a proven non-invasive approach to systems integration that minimize the involvement of the IT in the integration process.
- Multi language configurable Web access or PDA that will enable partners to communicate with tmEvent.
- Email enabling interface that provides the parties with the capability of submitting events without accessing any of the other tmEvent interfaces.
- Automatic Fax to EDI interface with data quality assurance service, through processing center, which creates events from parties that only utilize Fax and paper documentation.
As a result, you receive all relevant events in a standard format independent of your trading partner’s technical capabilities. The benefits of tmEvent will not be diminished by your trading partner capabilities.
7. Can tmEvent be integrated with my portal and my backend systems?
Yes. TradeMerit offers a generic interface to many portal solutions, allowing easy access to status queries, business intelligence reports, and so on. tmEvent offers a Web Interface that allows you to easily exchange information with all your business partners (both internal and external).
In addition, tmEvent integrates with many ERP systems such as SAP, Oracle, and JDA and legacy systems.
8. Can tmEvent trigger alerts based on a workflow sequence?
Yes. tmEvent provides the capability of creating workflow that can be monitored based on sequencing.
9. What is the cost of tmEvent?
tmEvent is delivered as SaaS (Software as a Service), so there are no acquisition cost . The monthly usage charges are based on two factors: number of users and number of events. The monthly cost can be as low as $3,000.
10. How long will it take to implement tmEvent?
Implementing tmEvent an evolution rather than revolution process, hence TradeMerit recommend staged implementation. TradeMerit recommends that you begin with a process that benefits the most from tmEvent - for example, certain areas of outbound logistics. A typical project can take 3 months to implement.
11. What is the technical infrastructure of tmEvent?
tmEvent is an application that runs over IBM WebSphere Process Server. For the SaaS delivery, our infrastructure is fully redundant with data centers in USA and Europe. tmEvent interfaces with systems including SAP, Oracle and other ERP systems as well as legacy and third-party systems.
12. When using the tmEvent Web interface, is my data transferred safely via the Internet?
Yes, our web servers use SSL (Secure Sockets Layer). This protects all data such as customer name and address or supplier name and address so that unauthorized persons are not able to decode this information when it is transferred over the Internet. Also, tmEvent supports a fully secure environment based on digital signature and non-repudiation if needed.